Welcome to the University of Strathclyde Badminton Club!
We are one of the largest clubs at the University and the most successful student badminton club in Scotland. Our sessions are suitable for all abilities, whether you are a complete beginner, want to play for fun or compete in BUCS or SSS competitions
We have two competitive teams playing in BUCS Scottish 1A and 2A leagues – our 1s team have won the top division for the previous three years running!
In addition to our BUCS teams, we also have a development team who compete in regional fixtures against locally against other Universities and Colleges in a relaxed and fun environment, with less travel requirements.
For students who just want to play for fun, we also have a huge number of social members who come along to Strathclyde Sport on Thursday evenings for a knock-about with students from all backgrounds and ability levels.
Other than the badminton side of the club, we have a vibrant social scene with various nights out and activities to get involved in. To keep up to date with everything that happens at the club, join our Facebook group – University of Strathclyde Badminton Club.
Any questions? Ask away, contact details to reach student committee members can be found on the email link on this page or find us on our social media channels to message us directly.
Reasons to join us!
- We welcome students of all abilities. Our current members range from complete beginners to elite athletes
- We run regular socials for all club members
- Our training and matches take place in the world class Strathclyde Sport facility – perfect for badminton!
- We have regular coaching sessions and lots of fun matches
Membership – what do I need?
1. Sports Union Membership – this is a flat £36 fee for the year (or £23 for one semester) which goes directly back to the club to fund various club activities and operations, including:
- Personal accident and public liability insurance
- Coaching fees, competition entry and transport costs, club equipment and external facility hire
2. Sports Club Bolt-on Fee – we also charge a £10 joining fee for the year which is charged to subsidise additional sport specific costs, such as use of club equipment and shuttles. This fee is charged on top of the Sports Union membership and again, goes directly back to the club and participants taking part in our activities.
3. Facility Access – as we train in the University’s £31m Strathclyde Sport facility, a pay-as-you-go facility fee of £3 is charged to access each session. However, if you are a member of Strathclyde Sport gym you do not need to pay this fee and can access training for free. To join Strathclyde Sport please visit the University website here.
Click on the Join button to sign up to the Sports Union through our web shop. Don’t forget to select Badminton so you automatically register with the club for the academic year and the committee can give you a Club Membership Card. Read our Membership Terms & Conditions here.
Come and meet us at the Sports Fair during Freshers Week or if can’t make it along, just rock up to one of our training sessions which can be found on the training link below. Feel free to come along and find one of our committee members if you have any questions – you can even drop us a message in advance on our social media channels.
We are also hosting a free Come & Try session following Sports Fair. This is a great opportunity to taste what life in a sports club can be like – why not even take a mate a long too?
If you are keen to get involved midway through the semester and haven’t bought a membership yet, you can register for one free Taster Pass with the Sports Union. Just drop the team a line on email@example.com and we will prepare one in advance to collect from the office in Strathclyde Sport.