Welcome to the University of Strathclyde Mixed Martial Arts Club!
We're an amateur MMA club that at the University of Strathclyde. We have first-rate coaching from the Griphouse and cater for all levels. Whether you want to train for fun, for confidence, to compete, or to keep fit, all are welcome.
We train on Tuesdays 7:15pm-9:00pm and Thursdays 7:00-8:30pm in the Strathclyde Sport building so come on down! As we have a lot of newcomers every year, we go over the basics at the start of every year. This is great for everyone! It allows beginners to quickly join in with sparring and rolling while drilling the basics gives experienced members the opportunity to refine their skills.
The club has a great social aspect too with socials every week, free food and various other food and drinks deals.
Any questions? Ask away, contact details to reach student committee members can be found on the email link on this page or find us on our social media channels to message us directly.
Membership – what do I need?
1. Sports Union Membership – this is a flat £36 fee for the year (or £23 for one semester) which goes directly back to the club to fund various club activities and operations, including:
- Personal accident and public liability insurance
- Coaching fees, competition entry and transport costs, club equipment and external facility hire
2. Sports Club Bolt-on Fee – we also charge a £36 joining fee for the year (or £20 semester only) which is charged to subsidise additional sport specific costs, such as expert coaching and maintenance of equipment. This fee is charged on top of the Sports Union membership and again, goes directly back to the club and participants taking part in our activities.
3. Facility Access – as we train in the University’s £31m Strathclyde Sport facility, a pay-as-you-go facility fee of £3 is charged to access each session. However, if you are a member of Strathclyde Sport gym you do not need to pay this fee and can access training for free. To join Strathclyde Sport please visit the University website here.
Click on the Join button to sign up to the Sports Union through our web shop. Don’t forget to select MMA so you automatically register with the club for the academic year and the committee can give you a Club Membership Card. Read our Membership Terms & Conditions here.
Come and meet us at the Sports Fair during Freshers Week or if can’t make it along, just rock up to one of our training sessions which can be found on the training link below. Feel free to come along and find one of our committee members if you have any questions – you can even drop us a message in advance on our social media channels.
We are also hosting a free Come & Try session following Sports Fair. This is a great opportunity to taste what life in a sports club can be like – why not even take a mate a long too?
If you are keen to get involved midway through the semester and haven’t bought a membership yet, you can register for one free Taster Pass with the Sports Union. Just drop the team a line on email@example.com and we will prepare one in advance to collect from the office in Strathclyde Sport.