Strathclyde Students’ Union Code of Conduct
It is expected that all representatives of Strath Union – i.e. student participants, volunteers, Trustees, Executive and non-Executive Officers, student and non-student staff members – adhere to the Code of Conduct to ensure mutual respect and safety at all times whilst acting under the auspices of Strath Union or attending Union events, activities, or premises.
All Strath Union representatives are encouraged to raise any concerns about the conduct of others or the way in which Strath Union business is run to ensure it is operating in a legal and responsible manner. All reports will be kept confidentially and held in the strictest confidence.
- Be aware of, abide by and champion the Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Be an ambassador for the Union when acting in an official capacity (i.e. whilst carrying out duties in their role as an employee, elected Officer or volunteer, or Trustee) and always portray a positive image of the services and activities on offer when acting in that role.
- Have respect for other's privacy, space, and possessions.
- Assist in creating an environment which encourages individuals to participate if they choose to do so.
- Create and maintain an environment free of fear and harassment of any type of abuse whether it be emotional, physical, sexual, neglect, or bullying and regardless of the platform, be it in person, via social media, phone, other online platform, or other.
- Have a personal responsibility to be fair, honest, considerate to others, and to treat each other with courtesy and respect.
- Ensure personal or professional differences are dealt with in an appropriate manner that takes into account the impact of others in the area.
- Be mindful of language and noise levels to discourage disruption or offence to others.
- Ensure status or position is not used to attain benefits or preferential treatments.
- Ensure no alcohol is consumed during standard working hours within any office area (including Levels 7 and 9).
- Maintain a professional outlook when carrying out duties on behalf of the Strath Union and accept responsibility for those actions.
Alleged breaches of conduct by an employee of Strath Union (student and non-student staff) or Trustee:
Should an issue regarding a breach of the Code of Conduct by a member of staff need to be raised, the matter should, in the first instance, be raised with the Chief Executive Officer, Manish Joshi. Should the complaint be against the Chief Executive Officer, the matter should be raised with the President.
Alleged breaches of conduct by an elected member (including Executive Officers and non-Executive Officers):
Should a complaint of breach of the Code of Conduct by a volunteer and/or elected member need to be made, the matter should, in the first instance, be raised with any member of Strath Union staff. This should then be escalated at the first opportunity with their line manager or another relevant Head of Department.
Alleged breaches of conduct by any other Strath Union representative (including student members and volunteers):
Should a complaint of breach of the Code of Conduct by any other Strath Union representative need to be made, the matter should, in the first instance, be raised with any member of Strath Union staff. This should then be escalated at the first opportunity with their line manager or another relevant Head of Department.
Handling of alleged breaches of conduct
Alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct will be handled through referral to the Union’s Complaints Procedure.