Coronavirus (COVID-19) &FAQs

Guidance and support


Health Services

Accident & Emergency
Alcohol & Drugs


General Practioners (GP)

It is strongly recommended that you register with a local GP when you move to Glasgow. They are your main doctor that will deal with any health concerns you may have (other than emergencies). You can search for your local practice here. You should go in to your local GP practice and ask how to register. You usually need to make an appointment to see your GP once you have registered.



If you or someone you are with is seriously ill or injured and cannot move you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance.


Accident & Emergency (A&E)

A&E is where you should go if you have a serious or life threatening illness or injury that can’t wait to be treated. If you are picked up by an ambulance this is where you will be taken. Not all hospitals have A&E so a list of hospitals in Glasgow that do is below. The see patients by priority/risk so the waiting times can be long.

Other than for emergencies you will generally get a referral from your GP if you need to attend hospital for assessment or treatment. You will receive a letter that tells you which hospital you should attend and when.

If you need urgent care for a minor injury, burn or simple fracture you can attend a Minor Injury Unit. Waiting times are much lower than for A&E so it’s useful to know where your local MIU is.

If you are unsure of where to go contact NHS 24 by phoning 111, they will be able to guide you on where would be most appropriate for you. You can search for local services here.

Glasgow Royal Infirmary (A&E)
84 Castle Street
G4 0SF

Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (A&E and Minor Injuries)
1345 Govan Road
G51 4TF

New Victoria Hospital (Minor Injuries Unit)
Grange Road
G42 9LF

New Stobhill Hospital (Minor Injuries Unit and Out of Hours GP)
133 Balornock Road
G21 3UW

The Royal Hospital for Children (A&E for under 16s)
1345 Govan Road
G51 4TF


If you go to your GP and they think you need medication they will give you a prescription, you need to take this prescription to a pharmacy and they will give you the medication you need. Prescription medication is free of charge in Scotland. A pharmacist can also see over the counter medicine (that does not require a prescription) and advise you on minor illnesses and ailments.

You can search for your local pharmacy here.


Many people will drink while at university, some will use drugs. Whether people do or don’t drink or whether they decide to use drugs is entirely their choice. The Advice Hub is more concerned that if you do drink and take drugs that you so safely, and are making educated and informed decisions about doing so.


Drinking is seen as very acceptable in Scottish culture, many might say too acceptable, but the fact of the matter is that alcohol is easily accessible and excessive drinking is quite commonly seen as the norm. Drinking to excess does however have risks to your physical and mental health not to mention your ability to study and get the degree you came here for. If you think your drinking is getting out of hand or are concerned about a friend or flatmate you can get information and advice from The Advice Hub or external organisations like Drinkaware and the NHS.


Most people know that there are a lot of different types of drugs out there and there are lots of different risks that go with them, whether it is to your health or your bank balance. It is ultimately your decision if you decide to take drugs but make sure you have all the information beforehand and take care to keep yourself safe. For more information there are a variety of organisations that can give you up to date and accurate information including Talk to Frank and Know the Score.


Problems and addictions involving gambling are becoming more and more common among students. If you feel that you are struggling with gambling please come to speak to someone at The Advice Hub and we can get you linked in with support. There is useful information from the NHSGamblers Anonymous Scotland and GamCare.

back to top of page