If you have a low income, then the NHS Low Income Scheme may be able to help you with some health costs, including prescription

charges, dental treatment, and glasses prescriptions.


The amount of support you receive will depend on your income and household incomings and outgoings, so you will need to declare these on your application.


Any student can apply, including international students so long as they are on a registered course that lasts six months or longer. You do not need to apply if you receive Income Support, Universal Credit (in some circumstances), Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based), or Employment and Support Allowance (income-based) as you are already entitled to receive full healthcare support.


If you have yet to pay any charges, then you should use an HC1 form to apply for these costs. This is available here.


If you have already paid and are seeking a refund, then you should use an HC5 form which is available here.


Once you have completed the form, then you need to post it to:


NHS Low Income Scheme

NHS Business Services Authority

Bridge House

152 Pilgrim Street

Newcastle upon Tyne


Mature Students & PostGrads

Space for Mature Students and Postgrads


In this section

Speak to one of our advisers

  • 90 John Street, Glasgow G1 1JH
  • Email
  • +44 (0) 141 567 5000