Coronavirus (COVID-19) &FAQs

Guidance and support


Please note that this page contains information that some people may find distressing or triggering, including mention of sexual violence, domestic abuse, self-harm, and suicide. If you are looking for something specific and would prefer to contact us for guidance, please email us at 


1 in 4 people in the UK are affected at some point in their life by mental illness. This can range from mild anxiety and low mood all the way to disorders such as bipolar, schizophrenia and eating disorders. Increasingly, students are more at risk of being affected by mental health problems during their studies.

If we could give one piece of advice to anyone struggling or worried about their own mental health or the mental health of someone they know, then it would be to tell someone. A friend, a lecturer, an adviser, your doctor… talking about it is the starting point for accessing support and treatment if necessary.

There’s lots of different signs that you might be experiencing low mood or depression, including tiredness, anger, lack of concentration, sadness, and a lot more besides. The NHS website has a self-assessment quiz is one of the best places to start with identifying symptoms you may have, though, of course, you may experience all or just some of the ones they list. There are pages for disorders across the whole spectrum there as well.

If you are looking for someone to talk to, are experiencing distress, despair, or thoughts of suicide, we would encourage you to contact Samaritans urgently for free 24/7 on 116 123 or by emailing 

If you are at risk of harm, please phone NHS 24 for free on 111. If you are at immediate risk of harm to yourself or anyone else, please contact emergency services on 999. 

Student Counselling

Private Counselling

Other Support

Student Counselling

The University offers person-centred counselling support to students through one-to-one sessions, workshops, and through self-help resources depending on what style of support helps you.

Counselling offers students that are struggling the time and space that they may need to focus and talk about things that are concerning them or that they are struggling with and helps them to find ways of improving their situation and lives.

If you’re not sure if counselling is right for you, then it might help to explore the webpage to see if it might be a good fit for you. You can also arrange an initial appointment to discuss with a counsellor and decide between you both whether counselling is the right option for you.

During term-time you can contact 0141 548 3510 or email to arrange an appointment.

Private Counselling

Private counselling is available if you would prefer to see someone from outside the University. There are lots of different organisations and professionals who offer this, but there is usually a charge attached. This can vary from therapist to therapist, but is usually between £30 and £60 per session.

The Centre of Therapy and Counselling Studies offers Cognitive Behavioural Therapy at a suggested donation of £5 per session if you are on a low income to see a student counsellor.

Other support

You may be looking for support that is specific to a specific issue, whether that's for yourself or to support someone you know. We have put together a list of resources below that may help you to start narrowing down where to look. 


National helpline for anyone concerned about their alcohol use or someone else's.
0300 123 1110
Information, advice, support, and free counselling for problem gambling.
0808 802 0133
Know the Score
Confidential information and advice about drugs.
0800 587 5879
Alcohol Change
Advice on alcohol reduction for a society that is free from the harm caused by alcohol.
Turning Point
Various support services for complex and challenging needs related to addiction.
0800 652 3757
Scottish Drug Services
Search engine for drug support services in Scotland.
Family Addiction Support Services
Confidential support for parents and adult family members affected by or concerned about a loved one's drug or alcohol use. 
0141 420 2050


Support and advice including access to counselling for those experiencing bereavement. 
0845 600 2227
Child Bereavement UK
Supports families when a baby or child of any age dies or is dying, or when a child is facing bereavement.
0141 370 4747
Advice and support including access to counselling for those experiencing traumatic bereavement, including death by suicide, murder, or culpable homicide.
01698 324 502
Richmond's Hope
Provides support for young people aged 4-18 years who have been bereaved. 
0141 230 6123

Crime and Violence (inc. domestic violence)

Specilist support for men and LGBT+ people experiencing domestic violence or abuse.
Support for all LGBT+ people who have experienced hate crime, domestic abuse or sexual violence. 
0800 999 5428
Hemat Gryffe
Crisis support and general support and advice for Glasgow BME women and young people experiencing violence. 
0141 353 0859
National Domestic Abuse Helpline/Refuge
24 hour support for anyone experiencing or at risk of experiencing any kind of domestic violence, including coercive control. 
0808 2000 247
Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline
Helpline supporting anyone with experience of domestic abuse or forced marriage as well as their family members, friends, colleagues, and professionals.
0800 027 1234
Shakti Women's Aid
Advice and support for BME women, children and young people experiencing domestic violence, with support offered in multiple languages including Arabic, Hindi, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Spanish, Swahili, and Urdu. 
0131 475 2399
Victim Support
Supporting people affected by crime or traumatic events, including court and trial related advice and support.
0808 168 9111

Debt and Money

The Money Advice Service
Free and impartial money advice. 
0800 138 7777
Expert, tailored advice and solutions for managing problem debt. 
0800 138 1111
Debt Support Trust
Glasgow-based charity helping people with money and debt issues. 
0800 085 0226

Eating Disorders

Support and advice for all eating disorders, with a specialist helpline for students. 
0808 801 0811
Support for those with or recovering from eating disorders from people with personal eating disorder experience. 
01482 718 130

LGBTQI+ Support

LGBT Health and Wellbeing
Information and emotional support for LGBTQI+ people and their families and friends. Also able to offer support those who are questioning or wanting to discuss their sexuality or gender identity.
0300 123 2523
LGBT Youth Scotland
Organisation working to promote the health and wellbeing of young LGBTQI+ people in Scotland.
07786 202 370 (text only)
Scottish Trans Alliance
Information for transgender people, services and equality organisations to engage in improving equality in gender identity and gender reassignment. 


National Self Harm Network
Online forum support those who self-harm.
Self-Injury Support
Self-injury support, advice and knowledge. 
0800 800 8088

Sexual Health

Clinic for a variety of services including contraception, fertility, sexual health testing, and access to the Gender Identity clinic, the G3 Priority clinic for those involved in the commercial sex industry, and Archway for empathetic and confidential support and physical examination for anyone who has experienced rape or sexual violence in the last 7 days.
0141 211 8130
Sexual Health Scotland
Resources and advice line for sexual health queries.
0800 224 488
Terrance Higgins Trust
Support, advice and testing for those with or at risk of contracting HIV. 
0800 802 1221

Stress, Anxiety, Mental Health and Emotional Support

Anxiety UK
Support, advice, and help accessing therapy for those experiencing anxiety or anxiety disorders. 
03444 775 774
Support and access to counselling for anyone struggling with emotional or personal issues.
0141 552 4434
24 hour helpline support by volunteers offering emotional support for anyone experiencing distress, despair, or thoughts of suicide. 
116 123
Scottish Association for Mental Health
A range of support and services across different Scottish communities. Helpline offers a place to chat about mental health and ask about support for yourself or others.
0344 800 0550
The Spark
Counselling and support focused on those in relationships and families. 
0808 802 2088
Time Out Scotland
Peer support for anyone living with a mental health condition or disorder. 

back to top of page