Council Tax


Full-Time Students:

All properties are charged Council Tax which is calculated on an annual basis, but most full-time students are exempt from paying this. You must apply to the Council for exemption. 

To do this you need to go onto Pegasus, go to the 'Personal' tab and in the ‘Student Status’ section you will be able to confirm your student status.  There are two ways to do this.  If your Council Tax is paid to Glasgow City Council you can select to notify them electronically.  If you are under another Council you can select to get a student status letter printed and collect it from Student Business (in the McCance Building) 2 days later.  

Some Councils will send or give you a form to be stamped by the University.  Strathclyde will not stamp this letter for you.  You are expected to request a student status letter and attach it to the form the council has given you.

Part-Time Students:

Part-time students are still eligible to pay Council Tax, but may be able to apply for a Council Tax Reduction based on their income.  Contact us if you're not sure how to do this.


I live with other people who aren't students:

If you live with another person or other people who aren't students they will have to pay Council Tax but you are exempt on the Council Tax bill.  If you live with one other person they can apply for a single person discount because you don’t count on the bill, this will give them 25% off the total Council Tax amount for your property.  If you own the property these rules are more complicated so please contact us to discuss your situation.

In this section

Speak to one of our advisers

  • 90 John Street, Glasgow G1 1JH
  • Email
  • +44 (0) 141 567 5000