Discretionary Fund
Emergency Aid Fund
EU & International Hardship Fund
Emergency Housing Fund


Struggling for Money?


If you are experiencing particular financial difficulty or are under unexpected financial pressure, please don’t suffer in silence. If your financial pressure is due to unmanageable debt such as credit cards, store cards or overdrafts you may find our Budgeting & Financial Health page helpful or pop in and have a chat with an advisor at The Advice Hub. 


There are several funds available from the University that might help dependant on your circumstances. 


Discretionary Fund 

All UK/Home undergraduates and postgraduates studying either full-time or part-time can apply to this fund if they find themselves facing severe financial difficulty. If you are not eligible for any other childcare funding, you could apply to the Discretionary Fund. The money, which is managed by the University but provided by the Government, can be applied for by filling out a form available from The Advice Hub or the Student Finance Office.


To be eligible for this award you will have to have applied for the maximum amount of Student Loan available to you (if applicable).


Please note: If you have outstanding money from the Emergency Aid Fund this will be deducted from your award from the Discretionary Fund before you receive it.


You can find further information here on the discretionary application fund and guidance notes. 


Emergency Aid Fund


Students facing immediate and urgent financial difficulty can apply for a loan from the Emergency Aid Fund through the Student Finance Office (Level 1, McCance Building).  Payments of around £100 can usually be made on the day whilst larger sums may take a few days.  There is no interest charged on these loans however if you do not repay the loan by the agreed date you may prevent yourself from re-registering or graduating.


EU & International Students


It is recognised that sometimes life is not that simple and students from international and EU countries suffer from unexpected financial hardship whilst at University. Eligible students from The University of Strathclyde can now apply for the EU & International Student Hardship Fund if they find themselves in a financial crisis. You can find out more about this fund by speaking with an adviser at The Advice Hub or with the Student Finance team at the University 


Emergency Housing Fund

If you find yourself in a housing emergency where you have been, or could be, made homeless, you can access this small fund by filling in the following application form here.

You can return the application to Student Finance in McCance or through email, details here.

Condoms, menstrual products

Appointments available!

Open weekdays 10am - 5pm (twilight sessions on Tuesday evening 5-7pm, during term time)


In this section

Speak to one of our advisers

  • 90 John Street, Glasgow G1 1JH
  • Email
  • +44 (0) 141 567 5000