Are you interested in aviation?
Ever fancied flying in a light aircraft?
Maybe you have even got your pilots licence!
Then we may be the club for you to join. Based at the University of Strathclyde we are open to all university students looking to join a club who share their passion for the world of aviation. Our flying operations are mainly operating out of Strathaven airfield, 19.5nm NE of Prestwick Airport or a forty-minute drive from the university. We fly the Ikarus C42 microlight aircraft which has been named the 'sports car of the skies' and allows you to work towards your National Private Pilot’s Licence.
While flying is by far the most exciting thing we do we offer much more too. Below is just a few of the thing we have been up to over the last few years.
What we're all about:
For those that are new to the club or want to find out more or even have been a member over the last year but just curious these are our main goals:
1. To Fly! Yes, we really do go flying. Flying is an expensive hobby, but we try to get away to Strathaven airfield when we can and hop in on some flights meaning it can be free if you are a member of the club.
2. Flying is always practical so to keep our skills up to date we also offer simulator drop-in sessions at the university on a Wednesday afternoon 1pm-4pm. Keep an eye on Facebook for news on when this is staring up again!
3. While some of you are trying your hand at some of the world’s most challenging airports in the flight sim the rest of us are getting out hands dirty on perhaps our most exciting project. We are helping to rebuild a microlight aircraft at Strathaven Airfield and aim whenever the weather permits to spend a few hours every Wednesday at the airfield working on this project. Again, keep an eye on Facebook for news on when we will be returning next!
4. Socials and Career Events. We plan we also arrange social nights such as film nights and quizzes, and we organise more education workshops such as flight planning, navigation skills and radio skills to get a taste of what's involved in becoming a pilot. We also advertise important career events such as EasyJet information presentations and pilot training workshops.
5. We regularly aim to go away and experience different areas of aviation. We have had trips to Prestwick ATC Centre, Rolls Royce, British airways, TRIG Aviation plus more!
6. Lastly but perhaps most importantly we aim to have fun with everything we do!
So yeah, we do a lot! If you are at all interested come along to one of our many events.
So, what have we got planned for the academic year 2020/21? Well we hope to get back in the flight sim and out to Strathaven to continue working of the plane as soon as we possibly can but for the time being, we are running some online activities. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and the this website for more up to date info on what we are up to over the coming months and if in doubt drop us an email or message and we'll try toget back to you as soon as possible!
For the time being this is what we have planned:
- Welcome zoom meeting Sat 19th September
Yearly membership £10
- Access to all our networking and social events throughout the year
- Exclusive access to a flight sim
- As many trips flying as possible (may include extra charges)
While we are based at The University of Strathclyde, we are open all students at universities across the west of Scotland and would love to hear from you if you are at all interested in aviation and flying!