To create, develop and support engagement opportunities for under-represented and widening access students including relevant student groups and activities. Such students include (but are not limited to) BAME, disabled, LGBT+, mature, care experienced and those from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
To work alongside elected officers and staff to research issues relevant to under-represented students and develop organisational programmes to support those students through their learner journey.
To support the delivery of the Strath Union strategy and Student Engagement departmental plans.
• Engage with University staff including the Access, Equality and Inclusion Service to develop strategies and projects to enhance the experience of under-represented students.
• Plan and organise events to increase engagement of under-represented students in Strath Union activities including Freshers’ Week.
• Monitor and report on participation rates of under-represented students within Strath Union opportunities including clubs, democracy and volunteering.
• Collaborate with elected Officers and Student Engagement staff to enhance representation of under-represented students within Strath Union and the University.
• Develop and implement peer support provision for under-represented students in support of enhanced learner journey and graduate outcomes.
• Identify student groups who would benefit from a community space on campus and explore opportunities to expand current provision
• Maintain professional knowledge of policy developments and initiatives in Higher Education regarding widening access to ensure that Strath Union’s representational work is current, relevant and informed.
• Carry out research and engage with under-represented students through surveys and focus groups to improve and raise awareness of relevant services.
Mature Students Association (MSA):
• Support the effective running and continuous development of the MSA self-managed space, maintaining a friendly, inclusive, and supportive atmosphere for all MSA members.
• Plan, organise and promote activities to grow membership of the MSA.
• Create and develop partnerships with relevant external organisations to promote and enhance the services of the MSA as well as volunteering opportunities for mature students.
• Oversee the replenishment of stocks of office supplies and consumables for the MSA.
• Ensure effective signposting of University and Student Union services to MSA and Widening Access students.
• Support the development and implementation of Strath Union campaigns.
• Support the work of the Student Engagement department in delivering projects, events and training.
• Support the Student Executive and elected officers with development and execution of advocacy strategies and policy.
• Work in effective collaboration with Student Officers and all departments within Strathclyde Students’ Union.
• Ensure that students’ expectations are exceeded wherever possible.
• Deal with feedback, whether positive or negative, in a courteous, efficient and timely manner.
• Comply with all Strathclyde Students’ Union policies, procedures and governing documents.
• Work within Strathclyde Students’ Union Mission, Vision and Values at all times.
• Be responsible for all Health and Safety requirements related to the role.
• Undertake any other tasks commensurate with the level of appointment that may from time to time be reasonably requested.
• The post-holder is expected to portray a positive image of Strath Union, both internally and externally and to set high standards of personal integrity and professionalism at all times, leading by example.
• The post-holder is expected to build and maintain professional networks to ensure knowledge is kept up-to-date.
• The post-holder is expected to undertake such personal and professional development as required to maintain appropriate knowledge and skills to fulfil the requirements of the role. This may include attending events away from Strath Union and outside Glasgow.
Internal: Student Engagement staff, Student Executive, MSA Committee, Advice Hub and other Strath Union staff.
External: University departments and staff including Access, Equality and Inclusion Service, NUS, colleagues in other students’ unions and any other relevant external organisations to the role.
Click here for full job description including person specification
* To apply for this role please submit your CV and covering letter (maximum two pages) outlining how you meet the person specification for this role via Breathe by 10pm on Monday 9th December 2019*