Coronavirus (COVID-19) &FAQs

Guidance and support


Don't suffer alone

President Kayla-Megan Burns and Vice President Inclusion, Rachel Cairns, are fighting against injustice and standing up for those who call it out: "We’re aware that recently some of our students have been targets of abuse both on and offline while they have been fighting for the rights of themselves and others. At StrathUnion we are striving to do all we can at to aid the fight against injustice, and this has always been an integral part of us so we hope you know that we stand with you in this fight. We have compiled some resources on what you can do if you have been subject to this abuse in any of its forms, but there is so much more happening with us in the background that we hope to be able to show you soon. No one deserves to face abuse for trying to improve our society for all -we’re sending lots of strength and solidarity through this." 
Ways to make a report:
  1. Reporting the incident to the online platform: Most social media sites, including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, are committed to maintaining a safe environment for their users. If anyone is threatening you, trying to silence your voice, intimidate you, or inciting others to do so, you should definitely report this. Normally, the abusive content will be removed, the perpetrators account will be suspended, and/or both. Twitter has policies specifically on hateful conduct, abusive behaviour and violent threats.
  2. Reporting the incident to the University: If you would like some support from the University, or even if you just want to make the institution aware of an issue, you can give details through the Report & Support system. The University can offer you advice, signpost you to other relevant services and discuss what can be done to resolve the problem.
  3. Making a formal complaint to the University: The University has a policy on unacceptable behaviour, and online bullying or harassment falls under this policy. Our Advice Hub can support you with making this complaint, and guide you through the process. This applies to bullying and harassment by another student or University staff member.
  4. Contacting the police: If you’re being harassed and you feel you're in danger you should contact the police. If someone is targeting you based on your race, ethnicity, disability, gender, religion or sexual orientation, this is not only harassment but also a hate crime. You can report these crimes by calling 999 (emergency), 101 (non-emergency), at your local police station. You can seek additional support with this from our Advice Hub or Citizens Advice Bureau.
Talking to someone
1. Bullying UK operates a free and confidental helpline, and you can also contact them via email. They can offer advice and help you figure out the best ways to get support.
2. The Mix is a UK based charity that provides free, confidential support for young people under 25 via online, social and mobile. They offer a helpline, 1:1 chat and short-term counselling services. They’re a great resource to explore your situation with you and find organisations that may be able to help you further.