This opportunity is ongoing, with no end date.
Share in the excitement as a volunteer and you will have the opportunity to deliver our education programme to schools visiting our reserve at Lochwinnoch. Typical activities range from hands-on exploration of meadows, woods and ponds to playing environmental games. To help us deliver environmental education at our reserves we need you to deliver fun and exciting activities as part of out of classroom learning. Our Schools on Reserves programme is linked to the curriculum for excellence and aims to give schoolchildren the chance to experience nature first-hand and you can be part of that exciting journey of discovery!
Essential Skills/Experience needed:
• A keen interest in wildlife, conservation and the environment
• An enthusiasm for outdoor education and a willingness to learn new skills
• A resourceful and flexible approach to be able to cope with a wide variety of ages and abilities of children
• The confidence and ability to lead or facilitate a fun and active day's education programme, both in the field and the classroom, with a group of students and their teacher.
• Abundant enthusiasm and excellent communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with children of differing needs and levels of understanding.
• Self-motivated with ability to work as part of a team and alone.
• Good organisation skills.
• Computer literacy - ability to use e-mail, internet, word processing
• Field teaching experience would be an advantage.
• Some ecological knowledge of habitat types would be an advantage
• Some knowledge of the local history of the area would be an advantage
In line with our Safeguarding policy, all applicants are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (England and Wales), Access NI in Northern Ireland, or a PVG Scheme registration check from Volunteer Scotland in Scotland.
References will also be taken up.
We offer to reimburse your travel expenses (up to 25 miles max).
The RSPB is the country's largest nature conservation charity, inspiring everyone to give nature a home. By volunteering your time and talents you can help us increase our impact and help us save more nature.
Benefits to self
We can potentially give you the skills to kick start a career in environmental or community education. You'll be in a small friendly team and have a chance to meet new friends.
Benefits to others
The opportunity to make a real difference enriching youngsters' lives and inspiring them to care and learn more about the natural world. Our Schools on Reserves programme is linked to the curriculum for excellence and aims to give schoolchildren the chance to experience nature first-hand
RSPB Lochwinnoch Reserve
All training necessary and background information on the education programme will be provided. This includes our Safeguarding programme which benefits both you and the people you are working with. We'll give you training and experience to build your confidence in helping children have wonderful hands-on experiences with nature.
Support and supervision details
There will always be supervision from class teachers and/or Reserve staff so that you are never left alone with children.
- TypeChildren, Education, Environmental, Health and Wellbeing