We are Strath Union, your Students’ Union - the beating heart of activity for students on Strathclyde campus since 1964.
We run events year-round where you can let loose, let go, just throw a couple shapes and put your skills on show.
We provide free and confidential advice for students, covering academic support, wellbeing and more.
University is all about finding friends, finding community, and finding yourself.
We exist to represent all students at the University of Strathclyde. We make sure your voice is heard across the University and beyond.
Enhance your CV, develop skills, find a part-time job and get more involved with your local community.
We've been leading the way in developing projects, campaigns, and student societies to better support students.
Widening Access & Inclusion
Bag the latest branded merch, zero-waste products and student discounts.
Eat & Drink
The President is a passionate leader who drives policy-making, campaigning, representation and acts as one of the public spokespeople for the organisation. The President is responsible for ensuring good governance within the Union and also acts as chair of the Trustee Board.
Term: June 2022 to June 2023
Time Commitment: 35 hours per week (Full Time)
Newly elected Full Time Officers are required to be available for handover and induction in the final two weeks of June.
Useful Skills: Supportive, Decision Making, Relationship Building, Negotiation, Public Speaking
“If you take on the role with positive objectives and a good attitude, then a strong legacy will be left for students.”
- Charandeep Singh, VP Equality & Diversity 2010/11 and Union President 2011/12
“Being in an Exec role really develops your confidence, improves your interaction with other people, your ability to present."
- Jo-ann Robertson, Union President 2000/01
“Leading a delegation of Strathclyde students down to London to visit the House of Commons and lobby MPs over tuition fees was one of my best memories from the role.”
- Ian Robertson, Union President 2003/04
This role will:
1. Be the main representative for University of Strathclyde students.
2. Facilitate input to University strategic initiatives and ensure student voice is heard in in corporate governance meetings.
3. Proactively engage and consult with the student body, identify issues leading campaigns on issues affecting all students.
4. Be the chair of Strath Union’s Trustee Board.
5. Collaboration with different members of the Executive team.
6. Be responsible for overall financial and political management of the Union, including the presentation of the budget to University committees and signing contracts on behalf of the Union, with consultation of the Executive team, as appropriate.
7. Oversee commercial events and publicity as well as ensuring the effective management and development of Union trading concerns.
Board of Trustees
This position is also a member of the Board of Trustees, which holds overall financial, legal and strategic responsibilities for the Association. For more info on being a Trustee, read OSCR’s (the Office of the Scottish Charities Regulator) guide.
This is not an exhaustive list
Role Specific Training
Additional training and ongoing support are provided throughout the academic year.
Kayla-Megan Burns, Union President 2020/21, on why you should run for Elections:
Got any questions?