We are Strath Union, your Students’ Union - the beating heart of activity for students on Strathclyde campus since 1964.
We run events year-round where you can let loose, let go, just throw a couple shapes and put your skills on show.
We provide free and confidential advice for students, covering academic support, wellbeing and more.
University is all about finding friends, finding community, and finding yourself.
We exist to represent all students at the University of Strathclyde. We make sure your voice is heard across the University and beyond.
Enhance your CV, develop skills, find a part-time job and get more involved with your local community.
We've been leading the way in developing projects, campaigns, and student societies to better support students.
Widening Access & Inclusion
Bag the latest branded merch, zero-waste products and student discounts.
Eat & Drink
Vice President Community is responsible for campaigning to widen development projects and opportunities for students. They will campaign to widen participation in extra-curricular activities and support the development of the clubs and societies. They lead on sustainability and environmental issues within the Union and University and foster collaboration between Strathclyde students, staff and local communities.
Term: June 2022 to June 2023
Time Commitment: 35 hours per week (Full Time)
Newly elected Full Time Officers are required to be available for handover and induction in the final two weeks of June.
Useful Skills: Enthusiasm, Organisation Skills, Relationship Building, Team-player, Decision Making, Negotiation, Public Speaking,
“If you take on the role with positive objectives and a good attitude, then a strong legacy will be left for students.”
- Charandeep Singh, VP Equality & Diversity 2010/11 and Union President 2011/12
“The perfect candidate for the Executive will be someone that wants to make a difference, but also recognises that you should be making a difference for the right reasons."
- Dr Debbie Willison, Vice Dean (Academic), Faculty of Science
“I wanted to improve the student experience and as a campaigner it felt right to put myself forward.”
- Gurjit Singh, Union President 2007/08
This role will:
1. Develop and promote extra-curricular activities within the University and the Glasgow community.
2. Campaign to widen participation in extracurricular activities and improve the diversity of activities/opportunities offered.
3. Identify and work to establish opportunities for collaboration and community building within Strathclyde, for example Halls Reps and RAG groups.
4. Focus on sustainability and environmental issues.
5. Engage with external stakeholders and developing partnerships and opportunities.
6. Improve the services provided by Strath Union for societies and other student groups.
7. Facilitate input to University strategic initiatives and ensure student voice is heard in in corporate governance meetings.
Board of Trustees
This position is also a member of the Board of Trustees, which holds overall financial, legal and strategic responsibilities for the Association. For more info on being a Trustee, read OSCR’s (the Office of the Scottish Charities Regulator) guide.
This is not an exhaustive list
Role Specific Training
Additional training and ongoing support are provided throughout the academic year.
Ru Wallace, VP Community 2020/21, on why you should run for Elections:
Got any questions?