Common sense for a common community goal.
Hi! I’m Kayla-Megan Burns and I am a 2nd year biomedical science student from N.Ireland. I am the current president of the Bands at Strathclyde Society (BASS), the previous class rep for my course, and am currently a fundraiser for the Alumni Fund! I have had ample experience within the union through this work and believe I am the candidate that we need for this role.
If I were to stand as VP Community, I would strive to;
- Provide increased administration training for societies and introduce appropriate technology to ensure the proper management and fair use of resources.
- Encourage Nourish Café to employ students to increase local job opportunities for Strathclyde students
- Work with VP Inclusion to get an equality training programme rolled out university wide to ensure all groups are listened to and represented equally throughout the University and Union.
- Ensure common rooms for all university departments in order to encourage a sense of community for all courses and year groups, and provide a designated work environment.
- Encourage the university to further develop their current environmental strategies including the Rottenrow Gardens Project, the development of the new teaching and learning building, and encourage management to rethink the University’s investment in fossil fuels.
I believe I can achieve this by listening and working directly with students, and acting as the liaison we need between the union, the university, and us students in order to see and achieve real change.